True Confessions Of A Park Ridge Dentist
Let’s face it. We dentists expect a lot from you. We ask you to visit us no less than twice a year. And, it’s not like this visit is some pleasant social event. Oh no. First, we put a bib on you because there is a possibility that we might get messy. And then we give you protective eyewear because there is a possibility that things might go flying. And then we lay you down in a position that not only makes you feel vulnerable, but it also makes you feel as though you are going to slide head first right onto the floor. And as if all of that were not enough, we begin to pick and poke and prod at your teeth and gums. And then we have the nerve to tell you that all of what we are putting you through is for your own good.
But our expectations of you don’t end with the bi-annual dental visit. Oh no. We have a more demanding expectation. We tell you that you need to brush your teeth twice daily for two full minutes each time. And, if you would, could you please also floss your teeth once a day. So demanding. Really. So, this morning it came to me that, since I expect you to take up two minutes of your morning and two minutes of your evening to brush, I should share with you some of the thoughts that entertain me while I am brushing. Now, in full disclosure, I have to admit that I use an Oral B Triumph with SmartGuide toothbrush which has a sweet two minute timer built in so that my mind can entertain me and leave the timing to…well… the timer.
Two Minutes of Mindless Meanderings While Brushing My Teeth
- hmmm…look at those bags under my eyes….I’ve heard tea bags help reduce puffiness..I wonder if I use Chai tea, would I feel more alert and if I use Chamomile, would I feel more sleepy
- which reminds me…that Chai tea I had yesterday was great but I think it was why I couldn’t sleep
- I do love sleep…
- hmmm….is it my imagination or is it time to whiten my teeth again…what do you think? hee hee hee…what do you think? pfffftt
- I wonder if I should I promote our whitening offer for new patients again?
- I don’t want to seem too pushy….pushy is so tacky….wait, is that a lady bug?
- awwww….look at the cute lady bug crawling on the wall….CHLOE!!!…oh well….dog 1 – ladybug 0
- I think I need a pedicure…oops….hmmm…toothpaste is an interesting color for polish
- I loved that movie I watched last night…so romantic…what was it called….the one with what’s-his-name….about some city in Europe that I can’t remember….but really, really…a great movie
- what should I make for breakfast….wait, I need to go to the grocery store. I have nothing in the house. I think I might have croutons somewhere…no one will ever know….croutons are really just fancy toast anyway
- I really need to brush the dogs…oh, who am I kidding… why should I bother…they are just going to get all messy and full of burs again when we walk later….besides, they look more natural this way
- oh look…if you connect the toothpaste splatter on the mirror, it looks like an outline of the United States…cool
- I wonder if I can pull off that sassy/messy hair look today or will people know that it’s really a bad case of bed-head
- wow, my eyebrows are really expressing themselves…I think I need to show them who’s boss
- oh listen…I love the song that’s in my head this morning….I want an easier life..whoaoaoao…I want an easier life…yeaaaah…I want an easier life…lalala ( Easier Life )
- they should do a study on songs that get stuck in people’s heads…I wonder what my songs in my head say about me…
- okay… I’ve got things to do….how much longer here….let’s see…ten more seconds
- one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand… wonder what I should wear today
- awww….look…a smiley face on my toothbrush. I did it!!!